I can't do a USB stick for Alpine 3.3.1 but it works perfect with 3.2.3

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Wed, 2016-02-03 09:22
donoban
  • donoban's picture

Hello guys,

After spending a lot of hours trying to do a bootable and writable USB stick for having a portable OS with some ssh keys and sensible data (I will use encrypted apkovl), I have tried with version 3.2.3 minimal and it worked fine doing the same things that I have tried a lot of times with version 3.3.1 (and was starting to making me feel stupid).

After doing same steps (single partition, format vfat, dd syslinux mbr, syslinux install, and copy all iso contents...) I get, with 3.3.1, something like this:

"Can't find /sbin/init on new root. Launching emergency shell."

I would like to know what happens with last version. I would like to run it. Also I would like to know if using version 3.2.3 I'm getting last updates from packages and running a pretty stable/secure system.

Regards.

Tue, 2016-02-23 09:13
donoban
  • donoban's picture

Hi,

with the help of #alpine-linux guys on freenode.net I discovered what was my problem. After doing 'dd if=alpine.iso of=/dev/sdX' when I first tested Alpine 3.3.1, some data was written on the USB making it like a CDROM. Recreating partition table and dumping syslinux mbr to it, DIDN'T REMOVE ALL THIS DATA. And it seems that new kernel used on version 3.3.1 reads it and thinks that my new USB install is a CDROM, when it tries to load something all data is corrupted and I ended with a emergency shell.

SOLUTION:
You just have to write zeros on the first sectors of the usb stick. e.g. 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX count=4096' and then do all standard steps for doing a USB stick installation.